Curse of Chucky 2013 Review

 


Directed by Don Mancini




Hi I’m Chucky, Wanna Play

Ok I’ve got to level with you, I watched the shit out of the Childs Play movies when I was a wee horror buff and my favourite by far was Bride of Chucky (mostly because I was in love with Jennifer Tilly). There was something about the contrast between a gorey murders being perpetrated by a wise cracking doll that really tickled me.

So, when Netflix suggested Curse of Chucky to me I got ready to strap in for some bloody fun. I expected cheesy one liners, oodles of bloody murders and, of course, the OG voice actor Brad Dourif as Chucky. I got all of these, in spades (or knives…)

Quick run down, Nica, a young woman in a wheelchair, and her family are terrorised by Chucky in a beautiful big (two story) house. Why? I’m not going to tell you the twist my friends, spoilers! But let me say, it’s a doozy.
You may not know this, but I myself am in a wheelchair, so I was thrilled to get some representation of disabled people in horror. While doing a quick Goog to see if the actor playing Nica was actually disabled (she’s not), I realised that she is in fact Brad Dourif’s daughter.



Despite the being a family affair, I would not say this movie is family friendly. There is lots of blood, gore, murder, mayhem, a little bit of sex and bad bad puns. The murders start early and don’t stop till the credits roll. I’ve got to admit the doll threw me off a little in the beginning, but honestly don’t let him throw you, he definitely grows on you. 


The whole movie is beautifully shot and has some real edge of your seat suspense. There’s a scene where they’re eating but one bowl is full of poison that will have you sweat.
The characters are interesting enough, some you want to die a little more than others but don’t expect too much in the way of character development and try not to get attached.

 

Overall I feel like this movie is a great addition to a franchise close to my heart. I’ve heard there is a sequel that I’m currently trying to track down so you might hear some more from my favourite homicidal play thing.

Remember, I’m your friend till the end!

Till next time.





Comments

Popular Posts