The Dark and the Wicked 2020

 Directed by: Bryan Bertino

 

As you all know I am a lover of horror movies, and honestly not much phases me.
I can watch baby sitters get slashed, peoples heads get ripped off with someones bare hands. I can watch ghosts, ghouls, goblins and not bat an eye.
This movie had me on the edge of my seat.

At heart this is a demonic possession film and it centers around a family grieving for their father as he lays slowly dying on their Texas farmstead. Two siblings come home to say goodbye to their father.
But something is wrong. The elderly Mum seems wrong and repeatedly tells her kids that they shouldn't have come. 

The topics of death and dying are explored. No one wants to die alone and often a lot of people have to. The unnamed Nurse gives a great speech about souls not being alone when they die that really touched me. She also says something along the lines of 'There can be a lot of love in a dying persons room, but there can also be loneliness'

Shit gets weird fast as the siblings spend more time at the farmhouse and honestly I was on the edge of my seat from 10 minutes in. I didn't touch my phone, or crochet while watching like I usually do.  I just sat, staring at this movie. Transfixed at it.

Possession movies aren't usually my bag, but this one is amazing.

5 out of 5 knitting needles through a eyeballs.

Comments

Popular Posts